This position is responsible for loading and off-loading trailers, trucks and other vehicles using forklifts and other material handling equipment and preparing freight for OTR/Rail shipment.
- Operate safely and compliance with all established HSSE policies and procedures
- Check all load-related documentation to ensure that it is complete and accurate
- Works with dispatchers, drivers and operations personnel to ensure yard traffic is managed efficiently
- Move freight and other materials using forklifts and hostlers to position for receiving and loading
- Complete thorough yard cleanup, stacking dunnage in dunnage racks, picking up pallets and garbage, etc.
- Sort and inspect freight for damage and inconsistencies prior to loading and unloading, ensuring freight is labeled and counted
- Tie down and secure loads on flatbeds, flat racks and rail cars in accordance with DOT regulations and Carlile policies and procedures for OTR/Rail transport
- Couple and un-couple trucks and trailers, creating sets and preparing loads for transit
- Snow removal duties as required
- Perform other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS (Education, Experience and Certifications)
- High school diploma or GED
- One to two years yard operations experience preferred
- Forklift certification preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent written, verbal, and listening communication skills
- Works well with internal departments, drivers and outside carriers
- Follows instructions, responds to management direction, takes responsibility for own actions, completes tasks on time or communicates alternate plans
- Treats people with respect; keeps commitments, inspires the trust of others, works with integrity and ethically, upholds organizational values
- Ability to prioritize work throughout the day
- Demonstrated attention to detail and accuracy
- Working knowledge of mathematical applications
- Knowledge of DOT regulations and Carlile policies and procedure for OTR/Rail transport
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
Work is performed in an external environment with exposure to inclement and extreme weather (wind, rain, ice, snow) and varying temperatures variations. May be exposed to hazardous chemicals, materials, and airborne pathogens. This position is subject to frequent walking, bending, and lifting with mechanized equipment.
Carlile will make a reasonable accommodation(s) wherever necessary for all employees or applicants with disabilities, provided the individual is otherwise qualified to safely perform the essential duties and assignments connected with the job and provided that any accommodations made do not impose an undue hardship on Carlile.
Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA, Wellness Program, Basic Life and AD&D, Short and Long Term Disability, Employee Assistance, Program, 401K Plan-with match, Paid Sick Leave, Vacation Accrual, 7 Paid Holidays.